Thursday, November 1, 2012

Reading Rockets

I don't know about you, but it seems like several of my little guys struggle with reading.  Many of them break down with the simplest of words.  The more I probe I realize that they don't have the basic phonological awareness skills needed to become successful readers.  Now, I know there are exceptions and some kids learn by memorizing sight words.  For the most part, I find that teaching kids these skills is VERY beneficial for their early reading skills.

I developed THIS phonological awareness game to help target these goals in therapy.  It's called Reading Rockets.  Check it out!

To play, the students take turns drawing cards and following the directions.  If they answer correctly, they get to keep the card.  If they answer incorrectly, another student gets a try.  They can keep their cards on these cutesie planet mats.  
And watch out for the wild cards!  If they draw one they were lost in space or captured by aliens and have to put all their cards back.  The student with the most cards at the end is the winner.
The game includes 72 rocket cards that target rhyming, beginning sounds, middle sounds, ending sounds, counting sounds in words, and blending sounds to read words.  

Hope this helps some of you!!  It's ready and available at my TPT Store right now.  

Graphics are by craftygraphicsscraps.

So how do you work on reading skills with your kids?  What do your goals look like?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...