Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Apraxia Packet for Later Sounds

This year I have one student with apraxia.  He's in 5th grade.  Although he has significant academic difficulties, his apraxia of speech makes it very difficult for others to understand him.  Many of the apraxia materials I've seen are geared toward younger kids, so this next packet was much needed for me.

After lots of research, here's what I put together.  Check it out!


There are 4 game boards to practice syllables and rate of speech.  You start out slowly then gradually increase speed.  The packet also includes 2 blank boards to use with any syllable combination or with other cards.
There are also sentences with increasing lengths to help with motor planning.  They focus on /r, s, l, k/. Sometimes I have my student highlight the letter of the focus sound in each card before he reads the sentence (wow...that was a lot of prepositional phrases in a row).  
My student is constantly deleting final consonants in words, especially /r/ and /s/.  These next sentences help him to practice articulating those sounds by the following initial sound being the same.  There are sets for /r, s, k, g/.  You can also use these if they delete initial consonants.
Most kids with apraxia have difficulty with vowels and repeating syllable combinations, which affects their diadochokinetic rates.  There is a set of 4 cards for syllable drills.
Multi-syllabic words are also a huge problem.  I've included a set of 4 cards with words of varied stress patterns.

Anyway, these are just some things that I've found effective with my older apraxic student after much digging and research.  :)  Maybe you'll find it useful too.  Check it out at my TPT store HERE!

Stayed tuned for a packet geared toward younger apraxic kiddos soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...