Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Therapy Organization Planners & Binders

So I am totally one of those people with great organizational ambitions.  At the beginning of the school year everything is nice and neat and organized.  As the year moves along, piles begin to form and papers begin to stack up.  I look around and things are a little out of place  aren't so organized anymore  pretty much a wreck.

This year I'll be trying out some new systems, so I'm hoping that they'll stick...especially since I found out that I'm now going to be the only SLP at my school.  Yes, I work at a primary school.  No, I have no idea how I'm going to manage.  Any advice is welcome and appreciated lol.  I figure I'm going to have to be super organized to make it work.

In my attempt to coral my paperwork, I'll be keeping a therapy binder or 2.  I combined a couple of great downloads I found on TPT to make my binder.  I used the Let's Get Organized packet from [simply speech] and the 2013-2014 SLP Monthly Planner from Denise Polley.


Both packs have such cute pages!  I just printed out the ones that applied to me and tweaked a couple of them a little with my sharpie to meet my needs.  :)


I'm thinking that this will be just what I need.  I've got a calendar for each month, referral info, and screening and RtI info.




I even included a copy of my district's procedure checklists for quick reference.


There are also sections for evals, re-evals, due dates, medicaid lists, running to-do lists, parent contact info, and more.  I spiral-bound it all together, so it's not as bulky as an actual binder.  It's more like a planner.

**UPDATE:  I recently created my own planner to customize it to fit more of my needs.  You can check it out HERE!

I do have another binder where I keep all my student data and attendance information.


I section it off by grade and store their lesson plans, tally sheets, and medicaid logs behind each tab.  Because these have to be filed every 9 weeks, they need to be in a place where I can transfer them easily.


I'm also thinking about keeping all of their therapy data on the Therapy Report Center app by Smarty Ears.  I'm still trying to work out the logistics of it.

How do you keep your paperwork organized?  Any tips you can share?

13 comments:

  1. Hey there! I love your separate "binders", but I love even more that you bound them together instead of putting them in a bulky binder. Is there any way you could write a post about the data sheets you use? I'm trying to figure out how I want to get better organized.

    Thanks!
    Brea
    Let's Talk SLP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I'll be doing a couple more organizing posts, so I'll add one on my data sheets too! :) I'm always on an organizing quest too.

      Delete
  2. Love this idea of binding with a comb- much less bulky!! Lauren , I can't believe you will be the only SLP at your school- not even a part-time SLP with you!? Goodness, and they send you all over the parish doing Spanish screenings and evals!! Yikes! Will say a little prayer for you. Hey, can ya share that cute typed up district procedure sheet with me? LOL
    I hate our boring forms!
    Great post as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yeah I'm going to be ALONE! Guess all of our "workload" data was all for nought. Lol. I appreciate the prayers. And sure I'll send you my cutesied-up forms haha. I think they're on my H drive, so I may have to send them when we go back to school. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah the workload data apparently was looked at AFTER staffing. Maybe next year....{ I think we always say that.} Thanks for sharing the forms- yep no hurry!! Headed to my room tomorrow
      (I have to MOVE----everything!!!) Otherwise know as A WHOLE LOT! Enjoy your last few weeks of summer (sigh)

      Delete
  3. How do you bind the book together? I have seen the machines at school and have never learned! I think I would totally use an organization system if it was easy to turn like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too hard to bind them. You can either take it to your local office supply store, and they can do it there, OR learn to use the machine. For the machine you just have to punch the holes, insert and open the binding comb, put your papers in, and close it on up. I'm sure someone at your school could show you! It's worth it!

      Delete
  4. For data, each student has a working folder with their data sheets, a fact sheet, protocols, notes, etc. I organize them by group and write things down the last 3-5 minutes (if I didn't take any data during the session) while they are doing their reward activity.

    Otherwise, I keep a master spreadsheet that keeps track of ID numbers, FIE/IEP dates, etc. On a different page in that schedule, I keep track of referrals and students in RTI. That way, if my counselor needs to know something, I can access it quickly and send an e-mail.

    I tried binders my first year and grade level folders last year. Neither worked for me... so I'm hoping this working folder thing will work out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Hailey! I love these ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. I have a master spreadsheet too that I keep on excel. It's a great idea to keep all the info ready for guidance if they need something. :)

      Delete
  5. I love your binder setup and would love to know where you purchase the binder that has the lettering on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I made that! I just chose my favorite font and printed it out on clear decal paper. Then I cut it, peeled it, and stuck it onto the binder. I got the binder at office depot. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...