In my state RtI is a mandatory component of the evaluation process. We must have documented interventions in all areas of communication (articulation, language, voice, fluency). It has to be included in the report if a child qualifies for speech therapy services and marked on the "documentation of eligibility" paperwork. Needless to say, RtI has become a major part of my work day.
Language RtI has been a tough nut to crack. I tried a couple of different programs that didn't work for my kids or schedule. I really wanted something straightforward and relevant to the classroom. Enter: Common Core Standards-Based RtI Packet for Language!
This is a huge 48-page packet. Every page is packed with content based on Common Core. This pack addresses kindergarten through second grade. I'm still working on grades 3-5!
- The kindergarten and first grade units come with pre- and post-tests for 4 areas of language: WH questions, grammar, phonological awareness, and language concepts.
There are also progress monitoring quick checks for each of the 4 areas to keep track during the RtI process.
- The second grade unit comes with pre- and post-tests as well as progress monitoring checks for WH questions, grammar, vocabulary, and language concepts.
- It also comes with Appendices and student sheets to supply visuals to some of the questions
- There's even a graph to chart students' progress.
- Lastly, I've included a list of standards that are targeted in these assessments for each grade.
A few things to note:
-These are assessments to give you some good pre-intervention and post-intervention data. You would provide your own research-based intervention during RtI.
-The assessments would also be great to give at the beginning and end of the school year to show parents how much progress their child has made, or even give you and the teacher an idea of what they still need to work on!
-In order to determine which of the 4 areas I need to target, I use Nicole Allison's Curriculum Based Language Assessments. These provide a great overview of what the kids can do.
-You can download a free copy of the phonological awareness unit for kindergarten! Just click the "download preview" button on the TPT page.
You can download the freebie and purchase the whole packet at my TPT store HERE!
What do y'all think? How does RtI work in your states?
PS I'm ready to give away a copy of this huge packet to a random blog follower! Just comment below to enter!