Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Dear Teacher...Love, Your SLP

Dear Teacher,

I need to tell you something.  Thank you.  Thank you for your diligence and hard work to prepare our children for the future.  Thank you for giving them the chance to succeed, for pushing them harder, and for showing them how to correct their mistakes.  

Thank you for your patience and love and support of our kids who have special needs and the ones who just have needs.  Thank you for the countless hours you spend prepping and planning.  Teachers like you amaze me every day.


But, teacher, I need to tell you something else.  I can help.  You aren't in this alone.  I am here to support you and my students.  Please let me.  I'm more than just someone to watch your class while you run to the restroom.  More than someone to bring you a drink or make a copy.  I am an SLP...your SLP.  Use me and ask me questions.  I really do have special training in all things speech and language.

I can probably tell you why your student doesn't seem to understand your directions, why he can't explain an answer, or why she's not comprehending what she's reading.  I can give the student strategies to help him compensate and show him things from a language-based perspective.  I can even give you, teacher, tips on how to make his environment more conducive to learning, tips on how to communicate with him more effectively, or even tips to keep him motivated.


I come in to your classroom to give support and services.  Please don't pretend I'm not there when I come in.  Please don't forget about me when you are planning your day.  Don't forget to include me in your collaborating.  I am thrilled to be asked my professional opinion.  I would love to help you strategize and come up with ways to solve problems.

Here's the thing, teacher.  I have a little problem.  Sometimes I'm afraid to speak up and tell you when a different way of teaching might be more effective for my student.  I'm afraid to ask you to not give so many directions to her all at once.  You see, I respect you.  I don't want to step on your toes and I don't want you to misunderstand my intentions.  So, can you just help me by asking my opinion once in a while?  Can we keep the lines of communication open between us?  Can we have the kind of professional relationship where we are open to changes and we work together to help our kids?  After all, we are both on the same team!  :)

So as we begin a new school year, I just want to say...you are awesome!  We've got this in the bag!  Here's to another fabulous year!

Love,
Your SLP :)

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful Lauren! I'd be willing to be that many of us feel the exact same way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lauren! Definitely a good read for teachers!
    Allison's Speech Peeps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely said!

    Aersta
    thespeechclinic.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks friends...it's just what I've been feeling lately. Hoping it helps a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I copy this and send it to my teachers?? It's very well stated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Just please credit me or my blog if you don't mind. Hope it helps! :)

      Delete
  6. I am willing to accept any help or ideas you may have! Sometimes I just don't exactly know what to even ask for! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brigette! I love having teachers like you on my side! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...