Friday, October 19, 2012

Conference Day & Parent Ed.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with parent-teacher conference day.  On one hand, I like the idea of having a day without kids to close myself in my speech room and do paperwork or get things done.  However, this is never the case.  It seems like I'm always pulled here and there and everywhere to answer parents' questions, translate for a Spanish-speaking parent, or attend an IEP meeting (or 3!).

Today is bound to be one of those crazy-filled conference days.  I can feel it in my bones!  Haha.  

When parents do ask questions about their child's progress, the most common one I seem to get is, "What can I do at home to help him?"  This is my FAVORITE question!  :)  It usually means that they are willing to put some time and effort into reinforcing what we work on at school.  And, as therapists, we know that we can make any time therapy time.  

I do like to have something tangible to give to parents that ask about this (and to parents who don't ask), so that they have something they can refer back to.  

HERE are a few of my go-to parent handouts ((FREE!)).  


These lists are compiled from information I've gathered from the internet over the years, tips picked up from co-workers, and things I've thought of myself.  They don't come from any one particular source.  Honestly, I don't remember which tips were from which types of sources.  So, if some of the wording looks familiar and you can name the source, please share!  

Hope this helps some of you!  Leave a comment and let me know what you think.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! I love but hate conferences. For brief periods of time, I feel like I make leaps and bounds in the paperwork realm. However, I work with preschool, which means a lot of conferences and IEPs as well as all the school aged kids' conferences.

    This year, I've moved and no longer work in an area with a high hispanic population, so it will be my first year not translating conferences. That should free up some of my time.

    Rebecca
    Talking With Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...