Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Therapy Fun Find: Simon's Cat

I'm one of those people who hates digging for things.  I'd rather go into a small boutique and glance around instead of digging through the clearance racks at TJMAX (though I do make myself do it to get good deals from time to time).  I'll admit that I get mildly annoyed when I have to google something and scour through website after website when I can't find what I'm looking for.  It's less of an impatience issue and more of a I-have-a-million-other-things-to-do-right-now issue. Or maybe that's the same thing.  Lol.

So, I always get a little flutter of excitement when I stumble across something cool accidentally.  I feel like I won the gift of time AND cool new idea.  Such is the case with this new fun find.


I came across a super cute series on youtube called Simon's Cat.  Maybe you've heard of it before, since it seems to have been around a while (like a few years!).  It was new to me, so I thought I'd share just in case you wanted to check it out.

The videos are short 2-3 minute episodes of stories from the perspective of Simon the cat.  Two things I love about them: they are short and WORDLESS...perfect for facilitating language and narrative discourse.  I use the Story Grammar Marker tools with them, since most of the videos make a "complete episode" for narratives in SGM language.  

They are also great for working on social language skills, such as emotions, facial expressions, problem solving, unexpected behaviors, and more.  The possibilities with wordless books and videos really are endless.

There are like over 30 videos, so head on over and use away in therapy.  Be sure and subscribe to the youtube channel, so you can stay updated when they post new episodes.  



6 comments:

  1. OHMYGOSH LAUREN I am sold. Thanks for sharing this. I'm ALL OVER IT!! So many uses for this (not to mention- how stinking cute!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! So glad you think it's useful too!! :)

      Delete
  2. That is adorable! I can also see soooo many uses for these clips! Thanks for sharing!
    oldschoolspeech.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Simon's Cat! I first learned about the videos when attending a session at ASHA schools offered by Sean Sweeney. He used it in exactly the way you suggested, with SGM! You're so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a Fun Find! I cannot wait to share Simon with my students. Thanks so much!

    www.sweetspeech.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...