Monday, February 17, 2014

President's Day in the Speech Room

Happy President's day!  Did you have to go to school today like I did?  Or were you one of the lucky ones that got a little break?  Weeelll, I kicked off a week of President's day themed activities today!  Here's what's up my sleeve for this week.


This packet is coming in so handy this week!  It includes a game board and lots of activities that address both speech and language skills including main idea, inferencing, predicting, comparing/contrasting, grammar, worksheets, and more.


You can even download the game board for free by clicking the preview button!  Find it at my TPT store here.
  • Duck for President

I scored these cute mini-books from a Chick-fil-A kids meal a couple months ago, and I was saving them for this week!  It's a fun little fiction book that has lots of good vocabulary for my older kids, pictures for describing, and other good opportunities for summarizing and sequencing.
Have you heard of Readworks?  It's awesome for finding short articles (mostly nonfiction) based on grade or lexile level with comprehension questions.  You can even type in a key word and search for articles about that subject.  These are perfect for a therapy session or even RtI.

I typed in "president" and printed out several stories for my kiddos across grade levels.
  • Lincoln hat craftivity 
Here is the cutesie craft that we'll be doing in my speech room.  It's super easy and only takes a few minutes.  Check out our Abe Lincoln hat!


We just cut out a small strip of black construction paper and a large square.  Then we glued them together to make a top hat.  Pretty easy, right?


My artic students colored and glued little picture squares from a workbook to the hat.  It makes a great "blank slate" for whatever skill the students are working on, whether it's fluency strategies, writing sentences, vocabulary, etc.  They could write, draw, and glue anything on there.  ;)


I thought they came out pretty adorable.  My kids liked them anyway.  Well, that's what my week is going to look like.  Do you have any President's Day activities planned?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...