Monday, July 29, 2013

Let's Go to the Movies!

I can't believe this is my last week of summer!  Sigh...next Monday I'm back to the old grind.  I've got to get myself motivated lol.  I've been draaaggging.

Back in college, in order to get myself motivated to study, I'd watch certain movies.  Haha.  My top choices were usually (don't laugh) Legally Blonde or Akeelah and the Bee or sometimes The Pursuit of Happyness.  You may think I'm slightly crazy, but for some reason watching these often inspired me to hit the books!  :)

Fast forward to today and I'm hoping to apply the same logic to my unmotivated SLP self.  Here are a few of my favorite speechie inspirational movies!  Get your Netflix cues ready!

Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon-affiliated links.  :)


In no particular order...

1.   The King's Speech (2010)


This one tells the story of King George VI and his struggle with stuttering as he inherits the throne.  He finds a speech therapist to help him improve his stuttering and give him the confidence to complete his duties as king.  Great film!

2.   The Miracle Worker (1962)


One of my faves!  It tells the classic true story of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan and how a young girl who is deaf and blind learns to communicate.

3.   And Your Name is Jonah (1979)


In this movie a family learns that their son, who they originally thought had a mental disability, is actually deaf.  It shares a mother's struggles and journey in helping her son communicate.  I was amazed at how much our field has changed since this movie was made.  It was funny seeing all of the "old" equipment too.

4.   My Fair Lady (1964)


If you like old, slightly longish musicals, you'll love this one.  In My Fair Lady, a linguist helps a flower girl speak elegantly and become presentable in society.  It's all about accent reduction therapy lol.

5.   Temple Grandin (2010)


Love this movie!  Temple Grandin has autism, and this story of her life shows how she overcame so much and changed the way livestock is handled at slaughterhouses.  Very inspirational!  

I'm sure many of you have seen these!  It's just fun to watch them again and again to stay motivated.  What are some of your favorite speechie movies??  :)



7 comments:

  1. I loved the Temple Grandin movie. Did you ever see Anywhere but Here with Susan Sarandon. The main character is a Speech language pathologist. But she is really disorganized and can barely pay her bills. I remember being irritated when that movie came out. I loved My Left Foot-I think about that one with some of my nonverbal kiddoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't seen either one of those! I heard about My Left Foot (Daniel Day Lewis, right?), and it is on my to-watch list. Thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete
  2. Do you know I've never seen any of those! I have The King's Speech on my Netflix cue and the DVD of Temple Grandin, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet! I have seen Adam (about an adult with Aspergers who falls in love with his new neighbor) and it's really good. I also have (but haven't watched) Mozart and the Whale - a love story about 2 adults with Aspergers. I really need to catch up on my speechie movie watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, girl, you've got to watch these! Lol. I haven't seen the 2 you mentioned though - Adam and Mozart & the Whale. I'll see if they're on Netflix :) Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea, Lauren! I need to get this little booty in gear as well! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Allison's Speech Peeps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I wish we all lived closer so we could invite everyone to an SLP movie night! :)

      Delete
  4. Great suggestions...wish I had this list earlier in the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...